Best wiring practices are used to ensure safety, avoid unnecessary rework and reduce potential electrical hazards that might damage property.
The most important practice to learn is proper safety. In the electrical field, small errors can cause massive issues like electrical fires. These fires are more dangerous than regular ones because trying to douse the flame with water spreads it. Specialized flame retardants must be used. If the fire becomes too large to handle, it can destroy entire buildings.
Aside from potential fire hazards, electrical currents can be fatal to humans. It is important to understand the lethal current calculations and take precautions against them.
- Never work on live wires. If there is power flowing through a circuit, it is essential to cut it off before beginning work. It does not matter if the task is as simple as applying temporary insulation tape. Static conductivity can create a bridge that will allow the current to flow into the electrician, causing injury or death.
- Always work with a safety operator. There should always be someone on hand while an electrician works on a task. If electrocuted, a person will most likely be unable to move or seek medical assistance. Having someone on hand to assist in emergencies could be the difference between life and death.
- Never wear conductive jewelry while working. Any metal rings, necklaces, bracelets or ear rings should be removed before working on any electrical system. Aside from potentially getting in the way, these artifacts increase the chances of accidents.
- Always use an outlet tester when working on electrical outlets. There is always a chance that an outlet appears fine but is actually damaged. Electricians should always double check that the outlet has a steady, acceptable power supply.
- Always ground yourself before working on electronics. Static electricity can cause a bridge between you and an electrical device. It is important to discharge any static energy before beginning work.
In terms of practical wiring practices, there will be different methods that work best on different projects. Domestic, Commercial and Industrial wiring practices vary a great deal. , there are some practices that bridge the different disciplines.
One of the primary practices that need to be used in all wiring tasks is the use of correct wires. Using the wrong type of wire in an electrical installation will cause hazards. If a wire is a wrong gauge, it could easily melt and cause a fire. If cables are going to be installed outside or in a potentially dangerous environment, it is important to make sure that they are properly insulated and protected. In most cases, a wire size two sizes larger than the minimum requirement should be used. This will increase energy transfer efficiency, cutting cost and decreasing waste.
There are four main practices that every electrician should be familiar with. By understanding and applying the methods in these practices, electricians can successfully work on a wider range of projects.
This applies to standard consumer products that might be found in homes, offices, and factories. It is important to have a good understanding of what the electrical standards are in an area. For example, a European kettle or toaster may require a different voltage to an American one.
Electrical Wiring Connections
These connections are the ones that connect outlets and fixtures to the electricity mains. It is important to note that wiring outlets incorrectly can cause electrical hazards like fires or electrocution. The wires should be secured tightly but not too tightly. If a cable is secured too tightly, it can damage the wires inside. On the other hand, if it is secured too loosely, wires can become dislodged. Typically, there will be clear instructions from the manufacturer on how to correctly secure outlets and other fixtures.
Electrical Service Wiring
This applies to wiring that connects a building to the main power grid. There will be different requirements for different types of building. For example, a home circuit breaker will be very different to the one used in an office building or a factory. It is important to install electric meters and boxes correctly. Failing to do so can affect the building as well as the local grid that supplies it. The national electrical code has many guidelines for the correct installation of electrical boxes.
Electrical Device Wiring
Some devices need to be wired in isolation to regular appliances. This would include stoves and heavy machinery. The power draw from these devices is usually greater that of standard appliances. The manufacturer of these devices should provide detailed instructions on how to correctly wire them.
Understanding the basic principles of wiring practices will help electricians keep their client’s safety. It will also be useful when learning new methods of wiring. Get fieldtrack to track electricians field activities today.